A new Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL) and strengthened labour market testing will allow small numbers of sponsored skilled workers to return to Australia to fill urgent skills needs in critical sectors, helping to create Australian jobs and rebuild Australia’s economy.
The 17 occupations on the PMSOL were based on advice from the National Skills Commission and consultation with relevant Commonwealth agencies and will be reviewed regularly.
Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs Alan Tudge said the changes would strike the right balance for Australia’s economic recovery.
The 17 priority occupations are in the health care, construction, and IT sectors, and form a critical component of Australia’s response to COVID19.
“Visa holders, who have been sponsored by an Australia business in a PMSOL occupation can request an exemption from Australia’s travel restrictions but will be subject to a strict 14 days quarantine on arrival at their own expense.”
Minister for Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash said the PMSOL would be complemented by strengthened labour market testing requirements.
“In addition to the current requirements of two national advertisements, employers must also advertise their vacancy on the Government’s Jobactive Website,” Minister Cash said.
Existing skilled migration occupation lists will remain active and visas will still be processed, but priority will be given to those in occupations on the PMSOL are:
The 17 occupations on the PMSOL are:
• Chief Executive or Managing Director (111111)
• Construction Project Manager (133111)
• Mechanical Engineer (233512)
• General Practitioner (253111)
• Resident Medical Officer (253112)
• Psychiatrist (253411)
• Medical Practitioner nec (253999)
• Midwife (254111)
• Registered Nurse (Aged Care) (254412)
• Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) (254415)
• Registered Nurse (Medical) (254418)
• Registered Nurse (Mental Health) (254422)
• Registered Nurse (Perioperative) (254423)
• Registered Nurses nec (254499)
• Developer Programmer (261312)
• Software Engineer (261313)
• Maintenance Planner (312911)
Regional Migration Australia provides assistance with all aspects of your skilled migration strategy. We can help with your SkillSelect Expression of Interest (EOI), Skills Assessment, State Nomination application and prepare your visa submission with the Department of Home Affairs.
Source: The Hon. Alan Tudge MP & Senator The Hon. Michaelia Cash, Joint Media Release 02 September 2020.